To log on to the online system: http://www.bsmsusa.com/brownSwiss/login/loginMain.php
Click on the Milking Shorthorn spot. Enter your login and password.
Note: You can use the tab key or mouse to advance from login to password. You must use your mouse to move to the “Login” on the bottom of the page. IN THIS SYSTEM YOU NEVER USE THE ENTER KEY. This will give you “Success” in the top box. In the Dark Green Box on the left you will see Main, click on that. This will give you Reports and Open and Post Order.
If you want to register or get pedigrees go to Open and Post Order. Click on this as you did for reports. It is important that you put in your herd code in the box next to Herd each time you open an order. You need this to be there before you open the order. This allows the system to charge based on Express fees. You do not need to do this to see the reports. After your herd code is in the Herd Box continue to the bottom of the Yellow box and click on the gray box “Open Order”. At the top it will say "Success". Next to “Order Number” you will see an order number.
Before you register a calf make sure that you have an order open. If you have posted your order you will have to open a new order. Once you have an order open, to register click on Register Animal in the left hand Green Box. This will bring up the page for registration.
Directions from the top of the page:
NOTE: IN THE FOLLOWING WHERE WE HAVE WRITTEN THAT THE SYSTEM WILL PROVIDE INFORMATION AUTOMATICALLY YOU WILL NOT SEE THE RESULTS UNTIL YOU HAVE “UPDATED” THE APPLICATION. WE WILL RETURN TO THIS AT THE END OF THE INSTRUCTIONS.
1) The Registration Date is automatically filled in.
2) Make sure you have the right sex. The default is “F” for female. If you are registering a bull you need to change this box to “M”.
3) Fill in the date of birth.
4) The next box is to distinguish between registering live or dead animals. The default is for live. If you are registering a dead animal you must change this box.
5) We are just beginning the process of registering embryos. IF you have an Embryo number provided by the office then the following applies: Fill in this box with the embryo number. If you are registering a calf produced from a registered embryo you DO NOT FILL THE SIRE AND DAM INFORMATION FURTHER DOWN THE PAGE.The system automatically supplies that information. Also the system will automatically add “ET” to the calf’s name.
6) The next box is for multiple birth. If the calf you are registering is a single you do not need to change this box. However, if the calf is from a multiple birth you need to change this box. NOTE: If you are registering a calf from an embryo that does not have a number supplied from the Office you need to make sure that you change this box to “Embryo Transplant”. The system will automatically add “ET” to the calf’s name.
7) The next two boxes are for ID. ID is either tattoos OR AIN numbers from permanent NDHIA, National FAIR, CRI tag or other licensed provider. NOTE: THIS WILL ALSO BE THE ANIMALS REGISTRATION NUMBER IF YOU ARE USING THE TAGS. WE WILL RETURN TO THIS FARTHER DOWN THE PAGE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ON THIS POINT PLEASE CALL THE OFFICE.
8) Date bred if available. If you are registering an ET calf please adjust accordingly. For instance if the embryo was implanted on June 8 put in June 1.
9) Fill in either the sires name in the box next to “Sire Search Name” or the registration number in the box next to reg. NOTE: Using the sire’s registration number is quicker than using the name.
10) Repeat step 9 for the dam. NOTE: IF THE CALF IS A PRODUCT OF A REGISTERED EMBRYO DO NOT FILL IN THE SIRE OR DAM INFORMATION.
11) DO NOT FILL IN THE BREEDER, ORGINAL OWNER AND CURRENT OWNER BOXES WITH NOTED FOLLOWING EXCEPTIONS. The system automatically supplies this information from the dam’s ownership status. The only time you supply the information in this section is when you are registering animals out of a dam that does not have an AMSS number.
12) The next box is for color. This is an important box as the program looks at “Color” during the registration process.
13) “AI Service “ is not a required field, you do not have fill in. However, if you do know please provide.
14) If your animal is Polled you need to change this box to “Polled” or “Polled Sport” as the case might be.
15) You do not need to do anything with “Breed’ or “Nation”.
16) Fill in the name you want.
- If the owner of the dam at the time has a registered prefix, that prefix will be added to the name automatically. In many cases a prefix may not actually have that person assigned, as in the case of family members. Other situations arise when an animal is owned by multiple people who have agreed to use a certain prefix. NOTE THIS PART OF THE SYSTEM WILL TAKE TIME TO GET UP TO SPEED. TO BEGIN WITH MOST BREEDERS WILL STILL HAVE TO SUPPLY THEIR PREFIX.
- All appropriate prefixes and suffixes are provided by the system including N, P, EXP, all the GE and GI levels, GR, S, ET, TWIN, TRIPLET.
17) Leave the number box blank UNLESS you are registering a calf that has a permanent AIN number. If you supplied an AIN number in the visible ID field above fill in this box with the same number. PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT IT IS THE SAME NUMBER.
18) At the bottom of the page click on the “Update” button, this will fill all the automatically supplied data if the system does not find any edits. The box at the top of the page will have “Success” in it if there are no edits on the first edit run. If there are edit problems the box will have a question or statement relating to the edit.
19) After you have reviewed the information to make sure that is correct (PLEASE NOTE DOUBLE CHECK THE PREFIX, IF NOT FILLED YOU ADD THE PREFIX IN THE NAME BOX AND HIT THE UPDATE BUTTON AGAIN).
20) If correct hit the gray box with “Register” in it at the bottom of the page.
21) At this time a second level of edits is performed including name length and if you supplied an AIN registration number. If the animal is accepted for registration “Success-Animal Number is *****” will appear in the success box at the top of the page. The number provided is the animal’s registration number. The rest of the screen will be blank and you can register the next animal.
22) Common edits at this point include:
- If the name is to long make an adjustment in the “Name” box and click on either the “Update” or “Register” buttons.
- If you supply an AIN number for registration the box at the top of the page will have “Registration Number out of Range for Breed MS.” If this happens at the bottom of the page on the right side a new gray button will appear with “Override” in it. This button will only appear when you see the above message in the top box. Use the “Override” button and the calf will be registered. You will get the “Success Animal Registered-Registration number is message
To post follow the same steps as for posting pedigrees. NOTE YOU CAN BOTH GET PEDIGREES AND REGISTER ON THE SAME ORDER. Also each animal registered will have a free pedigree provided for you.
Reports are not hard to use. Try them out! All Reports are free and offer a wealth of information. Click on the underlined report you want to see. Select your options in the white boxes. All Reports with the exception of the“Cow Evaluation List” have default selection criteria. As you work with the reports you will discover many ways to manipulate the parameters to create different sets of information you maybe interested in. After you select your options click on “Submit” at the bottom of the page. Towards the top of the Yellow section next to “Run Reports” an underlined report will appear. Click on this to you see your report. To return to the “Reports” page use your Back button. When finished with Reports click on MS Home towards the top on the left side of the page.
To get pedigrees go to Create Pedigrees in the left hand Green box.
NOTE: While it does say Registration and Transfer above the Create Pedigrees you cannot Transfer animals outside the office. Transfers continue to require signed applications in the office.
This will give you a page on which to get pedigrees. Click on 3gen. These are pedigrees you can print after you post your order. "Official" are pedigrees sent from the office that you cannot get on line. The skeleton pedigrees are free. Also make sure that you put down the right sex; the default is female and needs to be changed to retrieve a male. After you have put in the animal’s registration numbers and click on “Submit These Animals for Processing” at the bottom of the Yellow box, the box at the top will display “Success” and the name of the animals will be to the right of the page next to their numbers. If you want to get more pedigrees on this order click on the Open and Post Order in the left hand column, and then select Create Pedigree again.
NOTE: Always check the box at the top which indicates “Success” or displays “Unable to process your request-Please verify animals ID”. In most cases this will mean that you probably did not change the sex box.
After you have the pedigrees you want go back to Open and Post Order in the Green box on the left and click on the gray box “Post Order” at the bottom of the page in the Yellow section. The message box at the top should read “Order Number Posted Successfully”.
NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT, TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE YOU MUST CLICK ON "VIEW ORDERS" AFTER THE “ORDER NUMBER SUCCESSFULL” IS IN THE BOX. During development and live testing this step is the one that has caused the most confusion for people new to the system. If you have more than one order posted that we have not processed in the office a new page will appear. In the Yellow section of the page to the left of the order that you want click on the gray box that has “Find” in it. Using this “Find” will bring up that order.
After you have done this you then go to Work Order Line Item in the left hand Green box and click on it. This will take you to a page that will show you the name of the animals underlined, click on one of those and it will bring up the pedigree. You may then print the pedigree on your printer or save to your computer. After you are done with that pedigree us the “Back” button on your computer to return to your order. When you are done with your order click on either Open or Post Order in the Green box on the left of the page or MS Home at the top left hand part of the page.
NOTE: You need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer for this to function.
If you have any questions please call the office at 608-365-3332.